If you drafted Clyde Edwards-Helaire this year, then his rushing 25 times for 138 yards and a touchdown in his NFL debut makes him the next great fantasy running back.
If you faded CEH, then he is merely another average back who struggled to punch in multiple goal line opportunities and dropped his only two targets with backfield mate Darrell Williams handling the pass work.
The rorschach test-nature of the NFL is what makes fantasy fun, but I think both things can be true. CEH can be an explosive runner capable of gaining chunk yards while also still having some leaks as a pass catcher and not being fully trusted by the Chiefs as a pass protector.
TNF FANTASY FOOTBALL BUFFET
- As expected, the Chiefs did Chiefs things last night with CEH, Patrick Mahomes, Travis Kelce, Tyreek Hill, and Sammy Watkins all putting up nice fantasy lines. Mecole Hardman looks like the odd man out for now, but he should eclipse Demarcus Robinson soon.
- Will Fuller had a 31% target share and 51% share of the Texans’ air yards last night. I doubt you need me to contextualize this for you, but I will anyways: Fuller is going to smash this year (you know it’s coming...) if he stays healthy.
- It was a tale of two Johnsons (don’t think I’ll trademark that) in the Texans backfield last night with David rushing 11 times for 77 yards and a touchdown while looking spry. Duke, however, injured his leg in the season opener. One of the many reminders of both the surprises and chaos we are going to see this year.
- Jordan Akins had two catches for 39 yards and a touchdown. He looks like a nice pick-up in deep leagues after doubling up Darren Fells in snaps.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- For those of us who have drafted Courtland Sutton on virtually every team, yesterday’s injury reporting sent the emotions on a rollercoaster. Sutton suffered a sprained AC joint in his right shoulder but after the MRI it was reported that he is day-to-day. Bullet dodged.
- Deebo Samuel missed another practice. Today’s session will play a large part in determining his availability for Sunday.
- I swear every other tweet about David Montgomery is either the most bullish or most bearish news about his current health. He did practice in full on Thursday, but was still limited.
- Between Sutton, Mike Williams, and Jalen Reagor, I have had to learn a lot about shoulder injuries of late. Reagor was a surprise full participant in Thursday’s practice.
- Sounds like A.J. Green will be a full-go for Sunday’s season opener. It’s been almost two years since he played a game (October 2018). He’s going to need a nice stretch before Sunday.
- Chris Thompson and Dare Ogunbowale will be involved plenty in the pass game, but UDFA James Robinson is going to get a crack on early downs. The question is if the game script can ever stay in his favor.
- NFL insiders are preaching caution for fantasy gamers. These first few weeks are going to feature lots of committees.
- Here’s a list of other injuries to keep an eye on today.
I’LL TAKE A SUB WITH THAT TWEET
CAN WE GET ANDY REID A SQUEEGEE?