Lots has happened since we last checked in a week ago. Happy Friday, let’s get to it…
- Sam Darnold traded to the Panthers. The Jets traded Darnold to the Panthers in exchange for a 2021 sixth-round pick and 2022 second- and fourth-round picks. It’s clear the Jets are poised to take a QB at No. 2 in the draft, while the Panthers now have a decision to make on Teddy Bridgewater’s future. The real reason for this trade, however, was so the Panthers social media team could produce this meme. Here’s Matthew breaking it down from a fantasy perspective.
- 49ers acquire No. 3 overall pick. In older QB moves, San Francisco shipped the No. 12 pick, a 2022 third-round pick, and first-round selections in 2022 and 2023 in order to move up to No. 3 overall. It would appear that Jimmy G’s days as the starting QB are numbered.
- NFL regular season schedule shifts to 17 games. Since 1978 the league has played a 16-game regular season schedule, but will now shift to 17 games. This will be interesting to see how fantasy commissioners decide to handle this from a playoff schedule standpoint. Best idea I’ve heard so far is extending the championship matchup to two weeks. Always nice to smooth out some variance when a title is on the line.
- The Deposit King. Check out my guy Scott Simpson rocking the Deposit King hoodie from the Fantasy Life store.
- Post Free Agency fantasy shakeups. Mike Clay asked all 32 NFL Nation reporters a post-FA fantasy question. Sarah Bishop’s note on the Texans backfield is pretty interesting.
- Matthew’s LOVE/HATE. Don’t miss Matthew’s most recent column on all of his free agency loves and hates.
- Splash Play podcast. Josh Norris joined Chris Spags and I on the Splash Play to discuss all the most interesting Pro Day results, including Ja’Marr Chase’s sub 4.4 40 time.
- Mock Draft szn. Peter Schrager has the Pats making an aggressive move in his most recent mock draft.
- Dynasty ranks. My buddy Pat Kerrane is one of the sharpest dynasty minds. For those of you who play fantasy year round, his 2021 rookie ranks are posted for free.
- Want to work in fantasy? NBC Sports EDGE (formerly Rotoworld) is looking for a full-time fantasy football creator. Details here.
Have a chill weekend.