The NFL Draft is now less than two weeks away and the rumor mill is starting to churn out the good stuff. Let’s check in on everything happening around the league right now…
* Mac Jones to the Niners? The league’s worst kept secret (or best executed smokescreen) is the 49ers taking Mac Jones with the #3 overall pick. “I would say 98 percent of the league believes the 49ers are taking Jones,” said Michael Lomardi. Most talent evaluators agree Justin Fields is the better prospect, so something will have to give on 4/29. Personally, I can’t trust an NFL coach who dresses like a pro skateboarder.
* Thin to Win. “With the NCAA granting athletes an extra year of eligibility after a COVID-warped season, a large number of players are returning to school, and the pool of prospects attempting to go pro is significantly smaller than in standard years.” Interesting article in the Defector about the smaller-than-usual pool of prospects. This sentiment seems to be reflected in dynasty football circles as well, where most aren’t too excited about the depth of the class (especially at RB).
* Ja’Marr Chase Is Elite. Despite the thin class, Ja’Marr Chase is an elite WR prospect who could go in the Top 5 of the NFL Draft. Over at Rotoviz, Blair Andrews calls him the best prospect since Amari Cooper. On Ship Chasing, Pat Kerrane said he prefers him in dynasty to CeeDee Lamb. High praise from the analytics bros.
* James Conner To The Cardinals. Matthew breaks down the move from a fantasy perspective. JJ Zachariason reminds us about Chase Edmonds’ career goal-line rushes (spoiler: you only need 1 finger to count them). If, and this is always a big if, this remains a two-headed backfield, both Conner and Edmonds should be serviceable in fantasy.
* Judge Ito Adjourns Falcons Case; writer has nothing else to add; just wanted to write that headline.
* Julian Edelman retires; launches 10,000 Hall of Fame debates on Twitter.
* Gio Bernard signs with the Bucs; TB has never met a FA RB it didn’t like.
* Win Totals Are Posted. KC and TB lead the way with DET and HOU down at the bottom.
* High five….not. Hope you celebrated National High Five Day yesterday.
Have a good weekend.