One week from today the first round of the NFL draft will be in the books.
While uncertainty is still the name of the game, the mock draft hive mind is starting to form a consensus at the top of the draft…
#1. Everyone agrees Trevor Lawrence is going #1 overall to the Jaguars.
#2. It’s tough to find anyone who doesn’t think the Jets are taking BYU QB Zach Wilson.
#3. The 49ers are taking a QB, and most reports would lead most to believe that Mac Jones is the guy, but the betting markets and NFL dark web rumor mill seem to indicate that Justin Fields and Trey Lance are also in the mix.
#4. Most mocks agree that generational tight end prospect Kyle Pitts will go to the Falcons here, making him the highest drafted tight end since Billy Cannon went #1 overall in 1960. Also, shout out to Mike Ditka who went 5th overall as a tight end in 1961. It’s a copycat league afterall.
#5. Do the Bengals keep Joe Burrow upright with top OT prospect Penei Sewell or do they add the best WR in the class and Burrow’s former teammate, Ja’Marr Chase, to his arsenal of weapons?
It’s not often we get this many skill position players going in the Top 5, which makes this year’s draft very fun from a fantasy perspective.
Here’s everything else going on around the league…
* After giving football one of the best possible comeback stories last year, Alex Smith is walking away for good on his own terms.
* The 49ers signed RB Wayne Gallman. Kyle Shannahan collects RBs like Pokemon cards. Matthew is excited to scoop up the discount on Raheem Mostert.
* Dave Gettleman is that guy in your fantasy league who refuses to do a deal because they don’t want to get roasted in the group chat.
* Imagine a mock draft where every pick features a trade. Well you don’t have to imagine. Bill Barnwell has you covered.
* Over at Rotoviz, Shawn Siegele looks at the current consensus rookie rankings based on high stakes drafters.
* Happy birthday to Field Yates, pictured here after stuffing four nerds in a locker.