Hopefully you all had a better Father’s Day weekend than Cole Beasley, who spent the past few days arguing online with people about COVID-19 and vaccinations.
"I’d rather take my chances with Covid and build up my immunity...If I'm forced into retirement, so be it," said Beasley.
Now this is relatively interesting for fantasy purposes. Beasley would forfeit $4.7 million in salary if he does actually decide to retire. The team signed veteran Emmanuel Sanders in the offseason and is also banking on second-year WR Gabriel Davis to take a leap.
I think Davis’ role on the outside is mostly locked in regardless of Beasley’s status, but this would likely push Sanders into the slot and promote gadget speedster Isaiah McKenzie into the mix as well. We know fantasy points will be plentiful in this up-tempo Bills offense so all of these pass catchers become more interesting at their current ADPs if Beasley bows out.
There’s also some rumors floating out there that Zach Ertz could sign with the Bills. Ertz would be a nice fit for those vacated short targets over the middle.
My hunch is Beasley is just posturing and will ultimately suit up this year, but we’ll keep you posted.
📰 Fantasy News for the true sickos.
* Some pretty bullish news on Odell Beckham Jr. from Mary Kay Cabot: “The Browns are amazed at where Beckham is in his recovery from the ACL surgery in November. Without a brace or sleeve on the knee, Beckham has been running full speed, cutting on a dime and leaping to make his trademark one-handed catches”
* Jeff Zrebiec on J.K. Dobbins in The Athletic: “Ravens coaches have been vocal about their desire to get the running backs more involved in the passing game, and Dobbins has shown this offseason that he’s capable of contributing…he’s giving the coaching staff plenty of reasons to keep him on the field more.”
* “He’s unflappable in the sense that he doesn’t care whether something went good or bad, he wants to know why it went good or bad. He wants to learn from it. He is wired exactly the way you want all players to be wired,” head coach Robert Saleh on Zach Wilson, who has apparently been a quick study at Jets camp.
* The Jets said goodbye to Adam Gase and Sam Darnold and now you can say goodbye to glitches with the new release from MANSCAPED®. The Lawn Mower® 4.0 electric trimmer has it all: 7,000 RPM motor, LED light, SkinSafe® Technology, plus it's waterproof. Click to activate 20% off + free shipping sitewide at manscaped.com.
📊 Stat of the Day...
A very simple, but actionable data viz from our friends over at Rotoviz, Michael Dubner and Jack Miller. Rookie RBs average almost 2 more points per game by the end of the season, whereas veteran RB production decreases slightly by the end of the year. Almost all of the rookie RBs outside of Najee Harris have palatable prices in drafts right now. Travis Etienne, Javonte Williams, Michael Carter, and Trey Sermon are all targets of mine.
📚 The Fantasy Articles You Must Read
* 16 AFC Training Camp Headlines That Will Sway August ADP. Over at Football Guys, part of the Rotopass network, Sigmund Bloom has quick hitters on current camp news and how it might affect ADP in upcoming drafts.
The most interesting note to me is about Jerick McKinnon winning a role in the Chiefs backfield. I think Bloom’s takeaway is something to file away: “McKinnon signing in Kansas City was met with little fanfare, but it’s possible that he fits better in the passing game than Clyde Edwards-Helaire and ends up playing a bigger role than Le'Veon Bell did last year.”
🐦 Tweet of the day.
The very funny Cooterdoodle will be taking the reins of the @MBFantasyLife Twitter account going forward. This is very exciting news for both fantasy football *and* food art fans.