The Steelers released offensive lineman David DeCastro yesterday with a non-football injury designation.
For those keeping track at home, that means the team has now lost the following starters from their 2020 offensive line (h/t Warren Sharp):
- LT Alejandro Villaneuva (16 starts)
- LG Matt Feiler (13 starts)
- C Maurkice Pouncey (13 starts)
- RG David DeCastro (13 starts)
That’s not great, Bob—especially when considering Ben Roethlisberger is now 39 years-old and the team decided to spend its first round pick on RB Najee Harris instead of bolstering the crumbling o-line.
If you were scripting an apocalypse movie, you’d add these plot points to help foreshadow a future catastrophic event.
With all 3 Steelers WRs—Diontae Johnson, Chase Claypool, and JuJu Smith-Schuster—going relatively early in drafts, you’re going to have to take a stand on this team. Either Ben, who is going super late, is undervalued or this entire skill position group is a house of cards at their current ADPs.
I’m leaning toward the latter right now.
📰 Fantasy News for the true sickos
* The Antonio Gibson hype isn’t slowing down this summer: WFT running backs coach Randy Johnson recently said Gibson’s skills as a runner right now are “night and day” compared to last year.
* The more I think about it, the more I get excited about Rondale Moore in this Cardinals offense. Initially, we all assumed the Air Raid in Arizona would be a vertical pass offense, but we now know Kliff Kingsbury likes playing things closer to the line of scrimmage and Moore was hand picked to do just that: “He’s very good in the open field, making the first guy miss,” Kingsbury said. “He has a knack at some of those plays, so, yeah, he’s going to be a guy that’s going to be fun to try to draw stuff up for, and see how many times we can get it to him.”
* Hadn’t heard much about Panthers TE Ian Thomas until now, but head coach Matt Rhule said that Thomas had “a tremendous offseason” and looks explosive. “If you’re talking about a guy that’s really had a good offseason, I would say it would be Ian Thomas. He’s more comfortable with what he’s doing.”
* If you’re looking to bet against Mike Davis being a bellcow back for the whole season like I am, you’ll need to plant your flag somewhere. Michael Rothstein from ESPN said RB Qadree Ollison looked sharp and was used often throughout Atlanta's recent workouts.
📊 Stat of the Day…
📚 The Fantasy Articles You Must Read
How To Get A Stefon Diggs-Level Impact - 2 Players Poised To Destroy ADP In Every Format by Shawn Siegele. We featured a Siegele article on Wednesday and we are going to do it again today because Shawn continues to crank out great work. His new piece features two players poised to make a massive leap in 2021. You can get access to all of Shawn’s work at Rotoviz via the Rotopass.com package, which also includes ESPN+, Sharp Football Analysis, FootballGuys, Rotowire, and RosterWatch.
Rookie WRs To Target In Best Ball by Pat Kerrane. Over at NBC Sports Edge, Kerrane uses a few historical thresholds to help us determine which rookie WRs we should be targeting in drafts this year. There’s a couple cheap priority targets who I don’t think will be as cheap in a month.
🐦 Tweet of the day
🎁 Giveaway 🎁
Congrats to the following winners on winning a spot in Scott Fish Bowl with their NFL player/band mashups.
@Dizz05- Trevor Lawrence and the Machine
@FFB_Tom - Moving the Alice In Chains
@ffdegens - Lamar Jackson 5
@FredSDTW - Joey Slye and the Family Stone
@huskerdkb - Adele Beckham Jr.
@frankiep2323 - J Cole Kmet
@MJOverbey - Head Like a Cole (kmet)
@Byron_Watkins - Celine Dion Lewis
@TheFantasyCon - Kenny Stillswater
@SpookyKnowsBest - Dark Side of Mike Boone
Couldn’t help but notice Cootderdoodle selected *two* prompts featuring Cole Kmet. Know your audience, folks.
💪 High key thicc. Thank you @AndrewMackens for this...
Have a great weekend.