Our long national nightmare is finally over. After months of rumors, stalling, and misdirection, Aaron Rodgers finally returned to the Green Bay Packers while dressed like a hungover frat bro going to brunch.
He will not be a Jeopardy host. He will not be a Denver Bronco. He will be throwing balls to Davante Adams, Robert Tonyan, and...Randall Cobb?
Tom Pelissero reported yesterday that the Packers are “working on a trade with the Texans” to bring Cobb back to Green Bay.
This is definitely a blow to the rookie Amari Rodgers and veteran Allen Lazard, who will now both fight for snaps with Cobb. Rodgers is still the best bet for a late season breakout of the trio.
As for Rodgers, Adams, and Aaron Jones, it’s time for their ADPs to tick up. Adams is now firmly in the mix with Tyreek Hill and Stefon Diggs at the top of the WR rankings. Jones should no longer slide past backs like Austin Ekeler and Joe Mixon. And Rodgers is now safely back in the top 10 for QBs.
📚 The Fantasy Articles You Must Read
“Not All Targets Are Created Equal” by Rich Hribar. Loved Reebs’ take on the San Fran WRs in this piece: “Both young wideouts here have small samples on their resume, but Brandon Aiyuk had seven end zone targets as a rookie while Deebo Samuel has just two over his first two seasons in the league. Aiyuk was not good on a per target basis with the deep looks he had as a rookie, but his 20 downfield targets are five more than Samuel has in his 22 games played.”
“15 players who could be this season's breakout stars” by Mike Clay. Who is this season’s James Robinson? Myles Gaskin? Clay has you covered over at ESPN+.
“10 Players To Target Late If You Want To Win Your League In The Double-Digit Rounds” by Shawn Siegele. “With a 4.28 forty, 6.65 three-cone, and 42-inch vertical, it’s no surprise that Tyreek Hill is easily the closest athletic comp for Rondale Moore.”
Have you grabbed a Rotopass subscription yet? For less than $80, you can get access to all the articles from Reebs at Sharp Football Analysis, Mike Clay at ESPN+, Siegele at Rotoviz, and many more great sites.
📰 Fantasy News for the true sickos.
* Gus Edwards tested positive for COVID-19 and will miss the first 10 days of training camp. This is not ideal, but Edwards’ role is very secure on the team after signing a two-year, $10 million extension in June.
* Zach Wilson is the only Jets player absent for the start of training camp. Wilson has yet to sign his rookie deal. This is a non-story for now, but the NFL content machine mandates that I spill this ink.
* Zach Ertz reported to Eagles training camp on Tuesday. It’s still likely that Ertz gets traded before Week 1, but for now it’s probably prudent to be cautious on Dallas Goedert in drafts at his current ADP.
* Curtis Samuel (groin) was placed on the PUP list after missing most of June’s practices. It’s never great when players changing teams miss time. Rookie Dyami Brown and veteran slot WR Adam Humphries get a slight boost for now.
* Kyle Shanahan said there is no quarterback competition and that Jimmy Garoppolo is the team’s starter.
* Van Jefferson on which Rams WRs behind Cooper Kupp and Robert Woods will earn targets this season: “I’m as curious as everybody else.” I rank them: Jefferson, DeSean Jackson, Tutu Atwell. Atwell was placed on the reserve/COVID-19 list after reporting for camp on Sunday.
* Preston Williams (foot) was placed on the PUP list to open camp. Williams was already getting pushed down the depth chart after the offseason acquisitions of Will Fuller and Jaylen Waddle and this doesn’t help.
* Justin Jackson was placed on the COVID-19 reserve list Tuesday. Some of the Chargers beat reporters have already been expecting Jackson to be the odd man out in that backfield come cut time. I’m ready to start taking some last round fliers on Larry Rountree and Joshua Kelley now that we are getting some clarity.
🗣️ Players Hyping Their Teammates
Ok, NFL players have forced my hand. I’m proud to introduce a new Newsletter section to feature times when a player says nice things about one of their teammates. None of this constitutes fantasy advice, please speak with a fantasy advisor before adjusting your ranks.
💪 High key thicc
How about both high *and* low key thicc? Chase Edmonds says he has both bulked up by adding 5 pounds of muscle and “trimmed down” this offseason to around 205 pounds. Edmonds is an inspiration to all of us.
See ya Friday.