The “big” news yesterday was that Joe Burrow has performed poorly at training camp. The Athletic's Jay Morrison and Paul Dehner Jr. reported that he’s struggled with interceptions and that “throws that felt like layups last year are dropping harmlessly away from receivers or easily broken up by multiple defenders."
Bengals WR Tyler Boyd chimed in on Burrow, as well: "I think he's a little iffy on his knee, but it's hard to tell. I think he's ready to go, but he doesn't want to do too much.”
I suppose this is mildly concerning, but also...wouldn’t we expect a QB recovering from both a torn MCL and ACL to be easing back into his first meaningful football reps since December? Isn’t that exactly what training camp is for?
We just did this same song and dance with Courtland Sutton the other day when Coach Vic Vangio said he was playing with hesitancy and everyone panicked. Now check out the most recent quote on Sutton from Nick Kosmider:
“Sutton stood out on several occasions. (He) had at least 5 catches on Wednesday, including 3 during team drills that went for at least 20 yards. On one of the downfield throws, Sutton reached back with one hand to stab a pass that was behind him.”
We all gobble up these tidbits because it’s fun and we are sickos, but how about we expect a little rust on these guys recovering from injury and relax a bit, eh?
🏈 Stop procrastinating. Get ready for your draft with a Rotopass sub today.
📰 Fantasy News for the true sickos.
* Chris Trapasso reported that talks are heating up between the Eagles and Texans on a Deshaun Watson trade. “Still some hurdles to get over, but both sides are attempting to come to an agreement.” SportsTalk 790's Aaron Wilson countered that there is “no trade imminent or developing.” I’m more inclined to believe Wilson. It still boggles my mind that the Eagles would be willing to give up 3+ first round picks to add a QB facing 22 sexual assault accusations.
* Eliot Shorr-Parks is doing the lord’s work tallying touches at Eagles camp. I’m viewing this less as a reason to be bearish on the rookie RB Kenny Gainwell, but more as a reminder that Boston Scott is still in the mix there:
* Browns WR Donovan Peoples-Jones continues to get glowing reviews out of camp and seems destined to flip Rashard Higgins for the No. 3 role in Cleveland. Ken Carman: “Peoples-Jones is bigger and stronger than year one. Urban spoke highly of him throughout high school and college. He showed some glimpses his rookie season, but it should come to no surprise when he starts to fulfill his potential this season.”
* Gilbert Manzano on the former XFL star and current Chargers backup TE Donald Parham: “Parham has kept pace with Jared Cook as one of Justin Herbert’s favorite targets in practice, but Parham isn’t just seeing more opportunities because of his athleticism and size. He’s made strides as a blocker and that could lead to more snaps this season.”
* Here’s a devastating quote from Patriots RB coach Ivan Fears on rookie Rhamondre Stevenson: “I like that he’s here. Other than that, everything’s got to improve.”
* Here’s a name I haven’t heard yet: WR K.J. Osborne. Daniel House says he’s been one of the most impressive players at Vikings camp and is making a “strong push for Minnesota’s WR3 job.”
📊 Stat of the Day…
📚 The Fantasy Articles You Must Read
Fantasy football Draft-Day Manifesto: The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Drafters by Matthew Berry. Matthew’s manifesto is finally here.
RB Strategy and Training Camp News w/ Pete Overzet. I hopped on the RosterWatch podcast with Alex Dunlap to discuss training camp news.
Fantasy Focus: Steelers & Ravens 2021 Fantasy Football Outlook featuring Matthew and Field Yates.
🗣️ Players Hyping Their Teammates
Hall-of-Fame game tonight. Steelers vs. Cowboys. Football is back. Enjoy.