Week 1 of the preseason wrapped up yesterday with Colts-Panthers and Panthers rookie WR Terrace Marshall Jr. stole the show. He turned 5 targets into 88 yards, including a 60-yard catch from Phillip Walker. Marshall also showcased his versatility, lining up all over the formation and earning two red zone targets.
I’m aggressively targeting Marshall in drafts any time until he gets too expensive. He should be going off the board right around where Jets rookie WR Elijah Moore goes.
Rookie RB Chuba Hubbard also impressed for the Panthers while playing every snap with the starters, rushing for 40 yards, and receiving 3 targets in the pass games. Most of the Panthers RBs sat this game, but still nice to Hubbard take advantage and confirm that he could serve as a one-for-one CMC replacement if needed.
On the Colts side, we probably need to move Parris Campbell down the rankings. Despite making a nice catch, he wasn’t listed on the first team offense with TY Hilton and Michael Pittman Jr. This would seem to indicate that he’ll mostly only play in three-receiver sets this year as a part time player.
📚 The Fantasy Articles You Must Read
Fantasy Football Ultimate Draft Board: Perfect picks for every round by Mike Clay. Mike Clay gives out the answers to the test in this one while outlining his perfect draft.
Players I’m Targeting by Chris Liss. I’m in on all 4 of these suggestions as well.
Get access to ESPN+ and Rotowire, along with Sharp Football Analysis, Rotoviz, Footballguys, and Rosterwatch for less than $80 via Matthew’s Rotopass.com
📰 Fantasy News for the true sickos.
* We mentioned yesterday that David Johnson’s role could be much smaller than what we initially envisioned and The Athletic’s Aaron Reiss reported the same: “Johnson’s role might not end up being quite this narrow, but the Texans intend to rotate their running backs more than they did a year ago, when Johnson was one of the league’s most inefficient high-volume running backs.”
* This is interesting: Larry Holder of The Athletic thinks Saints RB Latavius Murray might be fighting with Devonta Freeman for a roster spot. The team can free up some cap space by cutting Murray, but this seems unlikely with how thin they are offensively. I still expect Murray to be a big part of a run-first offense.
* Daniel Popper keeps the hype alive for Chargers TE and former XFL star, Donald Parham: “It is clear now the Parham is going to have a big and influential role in this Chargers offense. He is lining up mostly detached from the formation, both out wide and in the slot."
* I didn’t mention Cole Kmet yesterday, but it’s worth pointing out that he had good usage:
🚑 The Injury Ward
* The Patriots tight ends are pretty banged up right now:
* David Montgomery missed practice after leaving the Bears’ preseason game early over the weekend. The team categorized the injury as soreness from a bruise.
* Stud WRs DeAndre Hopkins and Stefon Diggs haven’t been practicing, but there doesn’t seem to be much concern about their health.
* Check out this piece on Rotowire for a rundown of other injury updates from across the league.
We are now onto Week 2 of the preseason and our first batch of roster cutdowns.