Week 2 of the NFL preseason kicks off tonight with the Patriots squaring off against the Eagles. Both of these teams have interesting depth charts and camp battles going on. Here are 3 players I’ll be monitoring tonight…
* Can Patriots rookie RB Rhamondre Stevenson stay hot? It’s going to be tough for him to earn touches in the regular season, but another 100 yard game could kick the door open.
* Is Eagles WR Quez Watkins for real? Watkins had the long touchdown last week, but can he consistently command targets?
* Does rookie RB Kenneth Gainwell see snaps with the first team offense? He’s been getting some first-team snaps in practice recently and would become very interesting as a late round pick if he passed Boston Scott.
📰 FANTASY NEWS FOR THE TRUE SICKOS
* We continue to get indications that Adam Trautman might not be the guy at TE in New Orleans. First, he didn’t play a ton of pass downs with the first team in the Saint’s first preseason game. Now we get a puff piece from Nick Underhill about how TE Juwan Johnson is developing as a weapon for the Saints. Johnson is firmly on the deep sleeper radar now.
* It still surprises me every time, but the Marquez Valdes-Scantling hype has been relentless:
* Matthew was spotted on the big TVs at Top Golf in Las Vegas during the Fantasy Football marathon yesterday.
Grab 10% off Matthew’s “Draft Shirt” at the Fantasy Life store with promo code DRAFT10.
🚑 THE INJURY WARD
* Panthers WR DJ Moore hurt his back Wednesday and re-aggravated it at practice this morning. It’s apparently a minor issue, but we’ll keep you posted. Speaking of Panthers WRs, Robby Anderson continues to nurse a sore hamstring.
* Chase Claypool was back on the field at practice this morning catching passes after his injury scare yesterday. Dale Lolley reported that he wasn’t doing any running, but also wasn’t wearing anything visible on his ankle either. All things considered, this is great news.
* Lions RB D’Andre Swift, who has been dealing with a groin injury, is expected to return to practice today. Head coach Dan Campbell said he’s trending in the right way. There was a momentary discount on Swift in best ball drafts, but that should evaporate shortly.
* The Dolphins activated WR Preston Williams from the reserve/PUP list. This WR corps is pretty banged up, so there is a window for Williams to work his way into the rotation with a solid preseason.
📚 THE FANTASY ARTICLES YOU MUST READ
* Wide Receiver Stats That Matter For Fantasy Football by Rich Hribar. Over at Sharp Football Analysis, part of the Rotopass network, Reebs looks at the stats that are most predictive year over year for forecasting WR performance.
* 12 Potential League Winners That You Can Draft Outside of the Top 50 by Sigmund Bloom. Some great high upside selections by Bloom in this piece on FootballGuys.
* Rotoviz’s Shawn Siegele is a brilliant fantasy football mind, so it was a real treat to pick his brain for a couple hours last night on how he’s approaching fantasy drafts in 2021, his favorite Zero RB targets, and why he thinks Ryan Fitzpatrick is going to be a Top 10 QB this year. Watch here.
📊 STAT OF THE DAY
🎥 GRAINY VIDEO CAMP SZN
Ok, more like high res camp szn. Mike Evans is a big boy...
Enjoy the game tonight.
- Pete Overzet