We now have a sample size of two preseason games on the Eagles and Patriots, and while there is still plenty of uncertainty, we are starting to get clarity on some situations...
* Jakobi Meyers WR1. Meyers cemented himself as the WR1 in New England last night as he led the WRs in snaps and finished with 3 receptions for 56 yards and 1 TD. Meyers has always delivered when given the opportunity, the questions are what happens when the tight ends are all healthy and will the team will play fast enough to sustain any kind of consistent WR production.
* Decoding the Patriots backfield. It’s always dicey reading into Patriots running back usage too much, but it’s mildly concerning that Damien Harris played less than 50% of the offensive snaps. In classic Patriots fashion, it was a true committee with James White and Sony Michel also working in. Some smart people think the Patriots might be showcasing Michel for a trade, so that could explain the first team usage as well. At least we know death, taxes, and White in the pass catching role. Working with the second team, Rhamondre Stevenson flashed again with 2 TDs, but also fumbled.
* Kenneth Gainwell sneaks in a first team rep. Yesterday we asked whether Eagles rookie RB Gainwell would get any snaps with the first team and the answer was “yes” but only one. Still, I think all signs indicate that Gainwell will receive a few touches right out of the gate this year.
* Quez Watkins is the WR3 in Philly. We now have some more clarity on the Eagles WR rotation. Jalen Reagor and DeVonta Smith on the outside and Watkins in the slot. Per Adam Levitan, Watkins played 25 of his 30 snaps in the slot last night. Travis Fulgham has been pushed down the depth chart, as evidenced by him playing all the way into the 4th quarter.
📰 FANTASY NEWS FOR THE TRUE SICKOS
* Detroit WR Tyrell Williams is checking the box as a “steady drumbeat” guy from training camp. Here’s Chris Burke on his performance:
* Zac Stevens suspects that if Drew Lock plays well on Saturday against the Seahawks that he will be the Broncos’ starting QB. Most reports indicate that this is as close to a 50-50 battle as you can get with Teddy Bridgewater still very much in the mix.
* We haven’t talked about Packers TE Robert Tonyan much this offseason, so here’s a little nugget for you from PackerReport.com staff writer Zach Jacobson:
* File this under “Stuff We Already Know But Is Still Nice To Get Confirmation On”—Bucs coach Bruce Arians said "[Gio] Bernard has been more than pretty good. He’s already going to be a major part of the offense."
📚 THE FANTASY ARTICLES YOU MUST READ
The Advanced Stats Explorer by Rotoviz. A slick new tool by our friends over at Rotoviz where you can screen for all kinds of actionable stats, like routes run, air yards per route run, catchable target %, and much more. Get access to the tool and all of Rotoviz’s great content with a Rotopass sub.
Ranking every NFL team's position group from 1-32 for the 2021 season: Top QB, WR, CB units and more by Mike Clay. The best, shakiest, and units to watch for every team’s position group.
Week 2 Training Camp Summary by FootballGuys. Quick hit nuggets on everything going on at Training Camp.
🚑 THE INJURY WARD
* There was a brief scare for Ravens TE Mark Andrews yesterday after he left practice on a cart, received an IV, and then collapsed. It was later reported that he was suffering from severe cramping, but he was not hospitalized. Andrews is one of two current NFL players who has Type 1 diabetes.
* Both TE TJ Hockenson and RB D’Andre Swift are back at practice and looking good, per Jeremy Reisman. Swift apparently received a full workload at practice with no snap limitations. That groin injury was scaring me, so it’s great to see that Swift is back in the mix.
* Will Fuller has now missed practice for three straight weeks with his foot injury, though coach Brian Flores assured reporters that he is nearing a return. The one nice thing is that Fuller has an extra week to recover due to his Week 1 suspension from last year’s PED punishment.
* The update on Jalen Hurts:
📊 STAT OF THE DAY
🐦 TWEET OF THE DAY
You: “I’m gonna draft A.J. Brown”
Real ones: “I’m selecting Arthur Juan Brown”
I’m Peter Daniel Overzet and I’ll talk to you tomorrow.
- Pete Overzet