In today’s Fantasy Life Newsletter, we recap last night’s games, do an injury roundup, and marvel at the Ravens preseason success. It's 8/22. Take it away, Peter Overzet…
Another eventful night across the league last night. Here’s everything that caught my eye...
🏈 PRESEASON TAKEAWAYS
- Myles Gaskin’s death was greatly exaggerated. Gaskin’s ADP had plummeted this past week after Malcolm Brown outplayed him in the Dolphins first preseason game, but last night Gaskin rushed for 27 yards and 1 TD and also caught 4 balls for 44 yards and a TD. The correct price for Gaskin in drafts is somewhere between where he was going all offseason (mid-5th round) and where he had been slipping this past week (late 7th/early 8th).
- Gus Edwards is a problem for J.K. Dobbins. Edwards led the Ravens backfield in snaps (10) last night and turned his 4 carries into 28 yards. Edwards even played more third downs than Dobbins. Dobbins will need extreme efficiency and a bunch of big plays to justify their ADP gap.
- More clarity on the Rams backfield. As long as the Rams don’t sign a veteran, at least one of Xavier Jones and Jake Funk will provide value behind Darrell Henderson. Both Jones and Funk split snaps with the first team last night. Funk was the early down back, while Jones mostly played on third downs. If this holds, Jones will most likely be the back with a small role alongside Henderson.
- Rashaad Penny is lurking. It wasn’t that long ago that Penny was a first round pick, but he’s often forgotten because of his persistent injuries. Penny was back in action last night and split snaps with Alex Collins. If healthy, I think Penny will serve as a one-for-one replacement for Chris Carson. He should be drafted in the same range as backs like Damien Williams and Alexander Mattison.
- TE Timeshare in Dallas. Dalton Schultz and Blake Jarwin split playing time vs. the Texans yesterday and appear headed toward a timeshare. Schultz was a legit fantasy contributor down the stretch last year with Jarwin injured, but it will be hard for either to emerge as a viable option in a committee.
- It’s not looking good for Anthony Firksker. Early offseason fantasy darling Anthony Firkser looks like he’s part of a messy committee at tight end in Tennessee. Tommy Hudson and Luke Stocker continue to get snaps with the first team.
- The Bills WR4? The Bills offense is prolific enough to support some spike weeks from the 4th option in this offense. With no TE stealing looks, speedster Isaiah McKenzie could be that guy. He had 7 receptions on 8 targets for 72 yards.
- Pat Freiermuth on the radar. Steelers rookie TE Pat Freiermuth flashed last night, scoring twice on 3 targets. Rookie tight ends are slow to develop and Eric Ebron is still the starter there, but worth noting.
- Who is the WR3 in Indy? We all assumed it would be Parris Campbell, but based on two games of preseason action it looks like it’s Zach Pascal. Campbell once again only played in three-receiver sets and lost slot snaps to Pascal. And this was with T.Y. Hilton not playing, either.
- Corey Davis continues to crush in NY. Zach Wilson appears to love Davis as he’s been targeted on 10 of his 13 routes. This will presumably balance out when promising rookie Elijah Moore returns to action, but this re-affirms Davis as a comfy selection in the mid-rounds of drafts. He feels a lot like this year’s Robby Anderson to me.
🚑 THE INJURY WARD
* Adam Schefter reported on Friday that it’s unlikely Dak Prescott will be at full health during the 2021 season. Hard to know if this is in reference to the ankle or shoulder injuries.
* We are still waiting on WFT WR Curtis Samuel to see action even though he was recently activated off the PUP list.
* Patriots WR N’Keal Harry can’t catch a break. He left the Patriots’ game on Thursday with a shoulder injury and is expected to miss four weeks.
* We are still awaiting updates as Chiefs RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire undergoes more tests, but it appears that he didn't suffer a high-ankle sprain.
* Vikings WR Adam Thielen limped off the field in last night’s game and didn’t return.
* Texans rookie WR Nico Collins pulled a muscle against Dallas last night.
🐦 TWEET OF THE DAY
Enjoy your Sunday.
- Pete Overzet