In today’s Fantasy Life Newsletter, we examine Trey Lance, look at WR3 battles, and check out Field Yates’ favorite fantasy picks. It's 8/23. Take it away, Peter Overzet…
Depending on which drive you watched last night, Trey Lance is never going to start a regular season game in his life or he’s the reincarnation of Joe Montana.
Jimmy Garoppolo played one drive with the starters, before Lance took over. The rookie QB finished the game 5-for-10 with 67 yards, 1 TD, and 1 INT.
Now, in a tale as old as time, we sit back and watch as the head coach pretends like the talented rookie QB who they drafted to replace an unimpressive vet is not the starter.
People plugged in with the 49ers still think Jimmy G will be the Week 1 starter, while recognizing that Lance is inevitable:
Despite the lip service, I’m still of the belief that Kyle Shanahan is enough of a pragmatist not to waste any more time on Jimmy G and will install Lance as his Week 1 QB. Maybe it’s hopium. Maybe it’s the assumption of rational coaching. But Jimmy’s had his chance. It’s time for Trey Lance.
🏈 PRESEASON TAKEAWAYS
* Who is the 49ers WR3? Early reports were Mohamed Sanu had the role locked up. Last year Richie James Jr. flashed when he had the chance. But so far this preseason, Trent Sherfield has made a case. Sherfield was second on the team in WR snaps last night with the starters and continued to show good rapport with Lance. He’s likely not fantasy relevant without an injury, but stash away that name for a rainy day on the waiver wire.
* Josh Palmer steady drumbeat. Chargers rookie WR Josh Palmer played alongside Jalen Guyton with the starters throughout the entire first quarter last night. Guyton was an empty calorie, clear out runner last year whereas Palmer has been steadily earning targets throughout the preseason. I’m buying.
* DPJ vs. Higgins. Like Palmer, Donovan Peoples-Jones has consistently received praise throughout training camp and is currently battling it out with Rashard Higgins for the WR3 job in Cleveland. Both played a decent amount of snaps last night, but I think DPJ’s downfield skillset better complements Odell Beckham and Jarvis Landry while Higgins’ skill set overlaps more with Landry.
* Nothing to report on the Giants. I’m struggling to find a useful nugget on the Giants' usage last night. Devontae Booker continues to look like Saquon’s direct backup and was the only fantasy relevant player to suit up for the team.
* It’s not too late to host a live draft. Snag one of Matthew’s Fantasy Life draft boards today for your upcoming live draft. Each kit includes a 58”x36” board and over 500 player labels, including all of the 2021 rookies:
🚑 THE INJURY WARD
* Carson Wentz returned to practice this morning, confirming that he is on track to start Week 1. There is still a discount on all Colts players in drafts, so take advantage before the market catches up.
* Lost in the shuffle of missed practices has been Julio Jones, who has now missed three weeks with an undisclosed injury. Julio is notorious for missing practices, so it’s always hard to know how serious it is or if it’s just veteran rest. Still, I have a hard time pulling the trigger on him over players like DJ Moore and Tee Higgins in that same range.
* Speaking of long absences, the Miami Herald reported that the Dolphins expect Will Fuller to be fully healthy for the start of the season. That’s good to hear, but it would be even better to see him back on the practice field at some point.
* Chargers TE Donald Parham did not play in yesterday’s preseason game after aggravating a tailbone injury on Friday. Parham can’t afford any setbacks as he fights for a defined role behind Jared Cook.
📚 THE FANTASY ARTICLES YOU MUST READ
CeeDee Lamb heads list of Field's Favorites for 2021 by Field Yates. Absolutely love this list of Field’s Favorites for 2021 fantasy drafts...except David Montgomery, but sometimes it’s nice to know Field is human.
🐦 TWEET OF THE DAY
It’s part of my contract to include one piece of Washington Football Team propaganda in every newsletter. Reporting for duty…
There’s a report from The Athletic’s Paul Dehner Jr. that Ja’Marr Chase could lose some regular season snaps to Auden Tate. These are the kind of reports we dream of as high volume fantasy players. I’m ready for a Chase discount in drafts.
- Pete Overzet