In today’s Fantasy Life Newsletter, we recap a brutal wave of injuries, put the Saints under the microscope, and hype up Kareem Hunt. It's 8/24. Take it away, Peter Overzet…
We know it’s coming and yet it’s still brutal every time there are preseason injuries.
Yesterday was particularly rough with Jaguars rookie RB Travis Etienne, Saints TE Adam Trautman, and Rams RB Darrell Henderson all getting hurt.
* Etienne is out indefinitely after suffering a Lisfranc injury. He was spotted on crutches after the team’s preseason game last night. There is some optimism that it is just a sprain, but tests today will give us a better timeline on how long he’ll be out. Stephania Bell on the injury:
🎯 How to play it: James Robinson, who was being over drafted before yesterday, becomes a solid selection in rounds 6 and 7. It’s still likely he loses some early-down touches to veteran Carlos Hyde, but he shouldn’t have much competition for the pass down work. Robinson was a revelation last year, so there’s no reason to think he can’t keep it rolling in a Trevor Lawrence-led offense. We’ll adjust his target range once we know more about the severity of Etienne’s injury.
* Henderson left practice yesterday with a mild thumb sprain. Despite initial panic on Twitter—shocking, right?—it was reported that there is no ligament damage and Henderson is still expected to be ready for the season opener against the Bears.
🎯 How to play it: Henderson is still a strong selection in the 4th round of drafts, but if you’re drafting in the next couple days it’s worth seeing if you can get an injury discount. I’d also give a slight bump to backup RB Xavier Jones, who is still mostly free in drafts and would likely lead the backfield in touches if Henderson were to miss games.
* Trautman was carted off in the Saints game vs. the Jaguars and is scheduled to undergo an MRI on his foot today after the x-rays he received last night were negative.
🎯 How to play it: Trautman was already looking like a shaky bet and this makes him undraftable. Juwan Johnson has received the preseason buzz, but this looks like a messy rotation with Johnson, Nick Vannett, and Ethan Wolf.
📰 FANTASY NEWS FOR THE TRUE SICKOS
* One other interesting note from the Saints last night is that Latavius Murray looks like he could be third on the RB depth chart behind Tony Jones Jr., who started last night and has had a strong camp.
* Positive news on Clyde Edwards-Helaire: he was out at practice in limited fashion. He’s still working through a sore ankle, but the fact that he was out there at all is extremely good news.
* We’ve talked about how Tyrell Williams is the top WR for the Lions and a Detroit News report about Breshad Perriman being on the roster bubble helps confirm that. Reporter Justin Rogers still expects Perriman to make the team, but it’s probably time to take stabs on Quintez Cephus and Kalif Raymond late in drafts instead.
* CeeDee Lamb is in the NFL’s COVID-19 protocol, along with a handful of Cowboys teammates. We don’t know if he tested positive or was a close contact, but he should be cleared by Week 1.
* An update on Patriots tight ends: Jonnu Smith was a full participant at practice after sitting out last week and Hunter Henry participated in warmups, but was not a full participant as he works his way back.
* Bears RB Tarik Cohen is still going through rehab as he recovers from his torn ACL. Damien Williams will likely inherit some of Cohen’s old role if he’s not ready for the start of the season.
📊 STAT OF THE DAY
Via @coreyspala, a chart showing how Kareem Hunt is able to produce with and without Nick Chubb in the offense:
🐦 TWEET OF THE DAY
Gotta get them started early…
- Pete Overzet