In today’s Fantasy Life Newsletter, we look at the Broncos offense, try to decode Kyle Shanahan’s quotes, and look at Zero RB targets. It's 8/26. Take it away, Peter Overzet…
Kyle Shanahan might still be holding out on us (more on that in a second), but we’re starting to get clarity on some of the QB battles across the league.
No surprise here, but the Jaguars officially announced that No. 1 overall pick Trevor Lawrence will start Week 1 vs. Houston.
But more interesting is that the Broncos named Teddy Bridgewater their starting QB over Drew Lock. Normally we wouldn’t get too excited about a conservative signal caller like Bridgewater for fantasy, but the weapons in Denver are so elite that the entire offense could be elevated.
* Second-year WR Jerry Jeudy is ripping up camp and can easily be the Denver version of D.J. Moore for Bridgewater.
* WR Courtland Sutton is only one year removed from an 1,112 yard season where he scored 6 TDs.
* WR KJ Hamler is a preseason darling who looks like the next DeSean Jackson.
* Noah Fant is a 23 year-old TE who runs a 4.5 40-yard dash at 6’4”.
* And to cap it all off, the Broncos drafted RB Javonte Williams 35th overall in this year’s draft to pair with veteran Melvin Gordon.
What I’m trying to say is that this team is loaded with dynamic skill position players.
Bridgewater might not be necessary in shallower 1 QB leagues, but I think he’s now a very intriguing selection in best ball or as a high floor QB2 to pair with some of the rookie QBs who might not start out of the gate.
📚 The Fantasy Articles You Must Read
* 2021 Zero RB Candidates Countdown: No. 15 to No. 11 by Shawn Siegele. My favorite fantasy article series to read every year just dropped the first of three installments. Fantasy wizard Shawn Siegele outlines the running backs to target at the end of your draft. Get access to the selections at Rotoviz, as well as the forthcoming Top 10, with a Rotopass sub.
📰 Fantasy News for the true sickos.
* Kyle Shanahan is having a fun time toying with reporters on who will be his starting QB: "I've got a pretty good idea. But there are lots of days between now and then, at every position."
The more interesting quote from Shanahan hinted at a potential QB rotation between Jimmy Garoppolo and Trey Lance after the two split first-team reps in Wednesday’s practice: "I think I'm doing a little bit more of it here these next two weeks, just for me to get used to it and stuff, so the guys get used to it. Watching New Orleans doing it with Drew Brees and Taysom Hill has been pretty cool over the last three years.”
* According to Jeff Howe of The Athletic, Patriots QB Mac Jones had his best practice of the summer during the Patriots’ joint session with the Giants on Wednesday, as he completed 35 of 40 passes against the Giants’ starting defense.
* I’ll admit I’ve been stubborn on coming around to Zach Ertz being fantasy relevant this year. It’s hard to set aside my age bias, but even I can no longer deny that Ertz is going to be a factor as long as he’s on the Eagles roster:
🚑 The Injury Ward
* T.J. Hockenson is dealing with an AC joint issue in his shoulder, per Chris Burke of The Athletic. Hockenson has been having a great camp, so hopefully that means this nagging injury isn’t holding him back too much.
* Jaguars WR Marvin Jones, who had been showing a strong rapport with Lawrence, has an AC sprain. Coach Urban Meyer told reporters that he should still be ready to play Week 1. 6’6” tower Collin Johnson is the name to file away if Jones misses any time.
* An update on Saints TE Adam Trautman:
* I’ll believe it when I see it, but Washington Football Team coach Ron Rivera said he’s optimistic that WR Curtis Samuel will practice sometime next week. Samuel has spent most of camp on the PUP and COVID lists.
🐦 Tweet of the day.
Adjust the names, adjust the ranks...
- Pete Overzet