Two weeks from now in this space we’ll be recapping the NFL opener between the Cowboys and Buccaneers, which means it truly is crunch time.
Here’s everything you need to know across the league as you prepare for your drafts…
📰 FANTASY NEWS FOR THE TRUE SICKOS
* Rams coach Sean McVay on his new look backfield: “Darrell Henderson is still going to have a really big role. It doesn't really change the outlook for him. We'll see how quickly we can get Sony Michel up to speed.”
* Per Adam Schefter, Jameis Winston has been named the QB1 in New Orleans: “Winston has up to $7M available via incentives this season, tied to a variety of factors including playing time, passing statistics and team success. His path to reach those various incentives became clearer today.”
* One thing that has remained consistent throughout training camp and the preseason is that we have a committee at running back for the Jets. Connor Hughes on the trio: “Michael Carter is a breakout candidate this year. Carter had a nice training camp; he’s among the more elusive backs I’ve seen in my time on the beat; but this is going to be a three-man rotation. Tevin Coleman, Ty Johnson and Carter will all see their share of snaps in the regular season.”
* Russell Wilson on his new TE, Gerald Everett: “Gerald’s super elusive—he keeps getting open. He just finds a way to make plays. He’s been exceptional for us, and I’ve got great confidence in him.” Everett, along with Cole Kmet, are my favorite late round tight end targets right now.
* While we are discussing sleeper tight ends, how about Colts’ rookie Kylen Granson? The Athletic’s Stephen Holder expects Granson to be a “featured pass-catching tight end” and take over Trey Burton’s role from last year when he garnered a 34% snap share.
* Everyday we get closer to the season we get closer to the Trey Lance/Jimmy Garoppolo flippening:
* One of my favorite early offseason fliers Travis Fulgham is apparently on the roster bubble for the Eagles. Fulgham is now firmly behind WRs Quez Watkins and Greg Ward on the depth chart. Bummer.
* Speaking of the Eagles, they waived RB Kerryon Johnson from IR with an injury settlement.
🚑 THE INJURY WARD
* Here’s a nice piece by The Athletic’s Dan Duggan on Saquon Barkley’s recovery from his surgery that reconstructed his ACL. “Barkley, who missed Wednesday’s practice for a personal reason, hasn’t experienced any notable setbacks in a deliberate rehab process. So it was time on Thursday to put him into a competitive situation for the first time since the injury.”
Barkley has been routinely falling to the early second round due to concerns he’d be limited to start the season. I envision that discount window is going to slam shut very soon.
* WR Odell Beckham is on a similar trajectory as Barkley. He’s ramping up his practice activity and took reps in 11 on 11 during Wednesday’s practice.
* Broncos TE Noah Fant will not play in the Broncos preseason finale due to his leg injury, but is expected to play Week 1. Courtland Sutton, however, will play in the game. It will be his first game action since he tore his ACL in Week 2 last year.
* Giants WR Kenny Golladay is still not practicing due to a hamstring injury. It’s been 23 days since the injury and seems unlikely to be 100% by Week 1.
* Good news out of Cowboys camp on Dak Prescott. He’s no longer on a “pitch count” and is a full go at practice. Said offensive coordinator Kellen Moore: "We’re not looking at anything from a limitation standpoint...We're just playing ball at this point."
* This feels like deja vu, but nine players and coaches on the Titans have tested positive for COVID, including Ryan Tannehill and head coach Mike Vrabel.
HAPPY DRAFT DAY, FRICKIN' MAN'S LEAGUE
If you were reading the newsletter back in February, you might remember hearing about the two brothers from the Frickin Man’s League who won the Fantasy Life giveaway for Matthew to virtually host their draft.
Well I hear tonight is the night and it also happens to be the league’s 10th anniversary. The crew will be at Top Golf and will enjoy some ribbing from Matthew after any poor selections. Enjoy.
🐦 COOTERDOOODLE'S FAVORITE TWEETS
The fantastic Cooterdoodle, who runs the Fantasy Life Twitter account you need to be following, is going to start curating some of her favorite tweets for the newsletter. Today, we get hyped on Teddy Bridgewater and Diontae Johnson and roast Andrew Luck.
Happy Friday, talk to you tomorrow.
- Pete Overzet