In today’s Fantasy Life Newsletter, we breakdown the J.K. Dobbins injury, recap yesterday’s preseason action, and check in on T.Y. Hilton’s injury. It's 8/29. Take it away, Peter Overzet…
The hits keep coming. Ravens exciting sophomore RB J.K. Dobbins suffered a knee injury in yesterday’s preseason game and is currently undergoing his MRI, but the expectation is that the injury will end his season.
It always feels callous to jump right into the fantasy spin after a devastating injury, but it comes with the territory. Here’s to hoping for a speedy recovery for Dobbins.
In the meantime, backfield counterpart Gus Edwards, who was already seeing an expanded role in preseason, gets a huge bump in value as the team’s lead back.
Justice Hill and Ty’Son Williams are the other names now on the fantasy radar behind Edwards.
Hill was a preseason fantasy darling when the Ravens drafted him in the 4th round in 2019 but has failed to live up to the hype. He’s also missed the previous two games with an ankle injury, but has an exciting profile as a speedy, pass catching back.
Williams is a second-year pro who has been having a great camp and preseason. Both are worth late round darts until we get more clarity.
🏈 PRESEASON TAKEAWAYS
* NFL.com’s Greg Rosenthal speculated the other day that Seahawks RB Rashaad Penny could be on the roster bubble for the Seahawks. He rotated with Alex Collins in yesterday’s preseason game (8 snaps and 7 snaps, respectively). It still seems like Penny will make the team, but Collins could end up being the Chris Carson backup we want.
* The merry-go-round for the Chargers WR3 position continued last night. Jalen Guyton rested yesterday, along with Mike Williams and Keenan Allen, so rookie Josh Palmer and Tyron Johnson both played a bunch of snaps. Johnson looked good, turning 4 receptions into 41 yards. I still prefer Palmer of the No. 3 options, but this could break a couple different directions.
* Courtland Sutton looks like he’s near 100% after last night’s preseason game. Sutton had 2 receptions for 27 yards and 1 TD. Stephania Bell was encouraged by what she saw:
* Tom Brady and the Bucs offense looked crisp against the Texans last night. Brady was 11 for 14 with 154 yards and 1 TD. Chris Godwin was on the receiving end of the touchdown and chipped in 3 receptions for 84 yards. Also of note: veteran TE Rob Gronkowski played nearly every snap with the starters.
* Rookie Texans WR Nico Collins looks like the best fantasy pick in Houston when adjusting for cost. He’s been neck-and-neck with Brandin Cooks for playing time throughout the preseason and scored a TD last night.
* Not much to note from the Bears and Titans game. We continue to get confirmation that RB Damien Williams is the direct backup to David Montgomery and that Titans TE Anthony Firkser is a shaky selection as he continues to split starters snaps with Luke Stocker and Tommy Hudson.
* The Bills passing offense was on fire yesterday vs. the Packers and the team appears to be picking up right where they left off last year with extreme pass/run splits. Sophomore WR Gabriel Davis had 5 receptions for 75 yards and 1 TD and veteran Emmanuel Sanders turned 8 targets into 4 receptions for 27 yards. Keep investing in this passing attack.
* TE Mark Andrews played well yesterday for the Ravens and will be a major target hog for as long as the WRs are banged up. Sammy Watkins has been sidelined since August 16th with an undisclosed injury and Rashod Bateman is on track to miss at least the first month of the season.
🚑 THE INJURY WARD
* The other big injury from the past 24 hours is Colts wideout T.Y. Hilton, who is being evaluated for an upper back/neck injury. Stephen Holder reports he is expected to miss multiple weeks, but the injury is not season-ending. Here’s Matthew’s snap take:
📰 FANTASY NEWS FOR THE TRUE SICKOS
* Gardner Minshew was traded from the Jaguars to the Eagles yesterday. My main takeaway from this is that 1) it confirms that the Eagles have been wanting to further solidify the QB position as evidenced by the Deshaun Watson rumors and 2) Watson loses one of the few plausible trade destinations, although the Dolphins have recently popped up as another potential landing spot. I still think he doesn’t play a snap this season.
📚 THE FANTASY ARTICLES YOU MUST READ
* 2021 Zero RB Candidates Countdown: 5 to No. 1 by Shawn Siegele. Shawn’s Zero RB target list countdown series is now complete. Expect there to be some updates throughout the rest of the season, but if you are deemphasizing the RB position early in drafts this is your skeleton key. Get access to the Top 5 selections at Rotoviz with a Rotopass sub.
🐦 COOTERDOODLE'S FAVORITE TWEETS
- Pete Overzet