In today’s Fantasy Life Newsletter we recap 14 interesting takeaways from yesterday, take an initial pass on injuries, and preview Monday Night Football. It's 9/27. Take it away, Peter Overzet…
How does that saying go? Once is a fluke, twice is coincidence, three times is a trend? With Week 3 nearly in the books, we are starting to get enough data points to better understand who is on their way to a monster season and who might be dust.
Here are 14 quick takeaways from yesterday’s action...
* After a couple week stay in the Kyle Shanahan dog house, Brandon Aiyuk (4-37-1) and Trey Sermon (got every snap among the RBs, scored a TD) are finally back in his good graces and producing. Even George Kittle (7-92) decided to finally join the party. Once Shanahan finally installs Trey Lance as the QB it’s full blastoff szn.
* The Dolphins lost the game, but the offense didn’t seem to struggle too much with Jacoby Brissett at the helm. Brissett apparently loves Jaylen Waddle, who despite the return of Will Fuller, led the WRs in snaps (73), targets (13), and receptions (12).
* Cooper Kupp (9-96-2) remains red hot. He feels like this year’s Stefon Diggs—stud WR who gets a change of scenery (in this case a QB upgrade) and goes nuclear. See you at the 1/2 turn next year, Cooper.
* Dalvin who? Alexander Mattison filled in admirably for the injured Dalvin Cook, rushing 25 times for 112 yards and pitching in 6 receptions for 59 yards. On the other side of the ball, D.K. Metcalf finally flipped Tyler Lockett in production for a week (6-107-1).
* 3 games, 4 TDs—Ja’Marr Chase is a star. The Bengals rookie WR stuffed the box score again on Sunday with a 4-65-2 line. Though Chase didn’t have the craziest stat line of the day. That honor goes to Steelers RB Najee Harris who had *19* targets for 14 receptions and 102 receiving yards. Phew.
* As hinted last Thursday when he ripped off a big run, Saquon Barkley is back. Barkley played almost all of the snaps while turning in a respectable 16-51-1 on the ground and a 6-43 line in the air. Provided the Giants stay a remotely competent offense, Barkley will be a top RB play going forward like in the good ‘ol days.
* After a slow start, Alvin Kamara got fed against the Patriots (24 carries for 89 yards and a 3-29-1 line through the air). The bad news is there’s basically no other production to go around in this offense outside of Kamara right now.
* Through three weeks, Mike Williams (7-122-2) looks the part of an alpha WR and league-winning selection in the 8th round of drafts. Williams, who had previously been pigeonholed as a downfield target, is now working at all levels of the field and producing lots of points in his new role.
* The revolving carousel of fantasy production continues to go round-and-round in Arizona. Last week it was DeAndre Hopkins, Chase Edmonds, and Rondale Moore. This week it was Christian Kirk (7-104), A.J. Green (5-112), and James Conner (11-43-2).
* Marquise Brown left an absurd amount of points on the board yesterday with some brutal drops and will be popping in Air Yards models this week, but Mark Andrews (5-109) delivered and barely missed a TD himself. On the other side, D’Andre Swift showcased his versatility (14-47-1 plus 7 receptions for 60 yards).
* Josh Allen (358 passing yards, 4 TDs plus one rushing TD) finally delivered the blow up game everyone knew he was capable of. Stefon Diggs (6-62) was relatively quiet, but Cole Beasley (11-98), Emmanuel Sanders (5-94-2), and Zack Moss (91 total yards, 1 TD) were along for the ride.
* A.J. Brown left the Titans game early with a hamstring injury, which meant another big day for Derrick Henry (28-113 plus 3-31 through the air). On the other side, the Colts have to give Jonathan Taylor (10-64) the ball more.
* It was a rough debut for Justin Fields. Granted he squared off against a tough Browns defense, he only had 12 yards rushing and didn’t crack 100 yards through the air. Better days are ahead, but the 8 sacks speak to the dysfunction of this entire offense.
🗣️ READING STATS ON A MONDAY? YOU MAY HAVE A PROBLEM...
🚑 THE INJURY WARD
We have a ton of injuries from yesterday that we will be monitoring throughout the week…
* KJ Hamler (knee), Elijah Moore (concussion), Chris Carson (hamstring), Tyler Lockett (knee), JuJu Smith-Schuster (rib), James White (hip), A.J. Brown (hamstring), Marquez Valdes-Scantling (hamstring), Sterling Shepard (hamstring), Darius Slayton (hamstring)
One non-player note: Andy Reid had a health scare (dehydration) after yesterday’s game but is now in stable condition. Get better, Andy.
🐦 COOTERDOODLE'S FAVORITE TWEETS
🔮 MNF Preview
Tonight we get a fun game with the Cowboys hosting the Eagles as 3.5 point home favorites with an O/U of 51.5. You can check out a quick preview of the game over on Sharp Football Analysis, which is part of the Rotopass network.
We’ll be back tomorrow with waiver wire picks. Enjoy the game.
- Pete Overzet