In today’s Fantasy Life Newsletter we get you ready for Week 5 with all the news you need to know. It's 10/10. Take it away, Peter Overzet…
The Falcons-Jets appetizer is wrapping up in London as we publish this, which means all of us have extremely busy days ahead of us:
This is a wild slate as far as injury situations. We have lots of players who were game time decisions that aren’t fully healthy. More on Dalvin Cook (inactive), Joe Mixon (playing) and others below.
There aren’t too many potential shootout games on the docket today. The total in the Packers-Bengals game has creeped up to 51. The only other game with a total over 50 is the Giants-Cowboys (52).
We are apparently saving all the fireworks for Sunday Night Football when the Bills-Chiefs will square off in a game with a 56.5 over/under. That said, there are some weather concerns for that game, which we outline below.
If you have any specific start/sit questions, be sure to check out our free Week 5 fantasy rankings by Waz, which were posted in yesterday’s newsletter.
⛔ OUT OR NOT EXPECTED TO PLAY
* Dalvin Cook, who has been a game time decision all week with an ankle injury, will not play today vs. the Lions. Alexander Mattison gets the start and is a smash play in all formats.
* DeVante Parker is out today for the Dolphins (as is Will Fuller). Both Jaylen Waddle and Mike Gesicki should see a ton of work today in what projects as a pass-heavy, negative game script for the Dolphins.
* Jimmy Garoppolo, George Kittle, Julio Jones, Rob Gronkowski, Deshaun Watson, Logan Thomas, Sterling Shepard, Darius Slayton, David Montgomery
🙏🏼 PLAYING OR EXPECTED TO PLAY
* The outlook and reporting on Joe Mixon (ankle) has been murky all week. The Bengals initially said he would need to get in some full speed practices to play, but that never happened. Now he is active for the game vs. the Packers. Dr. Jene Bramel thinks there’s concern for limited snaps and re-aggravation during the game, though the beats think he’ll get plenty of work.
* It sounds like Chase Edmonds (shoulder) will play, but they have a later game today so make sure you have a contingency plan if for some reason he doesn’t suit up.
* A couple notes on Curtis Samuel and Antonio Gibson:
* Amari Cooper (hamstring) is expected to play against the Cowboys later today.
* D’Andre Swift, Teddy Bridgewater, Courtland Sutton, T.J. Hockenson, Jamaal Williams, David Njoku, D’Andre Swift, A.J. Brown, Elijah Mitchell, Chase Claypool, Josh Gordon
☂️ WEATHER REPORT
Kevin Roth is a meteorologist for Rotogrinders who specializes in weather impacts for fantasy sports. He’ll be sharing his thoughts with us about any impactful weather situations as they arise throughout the season. Take it away, Kevin…
BUF @ KC: it’s going to rain tonight in KC, and it may end up raining all game. These are two high-powered offenses with the highest total on the week, so I’m not expecting them to be fully shut down, but we should temper expectations. The rain will not only make passing more difficult, but it could also tilt teams' game plans towards the run, slowing down the game. Start your studs, but be weary of fringe WR plays in KC. For last minute updates follow @KevinRothWx on Twitter or check the full forecast.
📚 THE FANTASY ARTICLES YOU MUST READ
Gameday Injury Expectations: Week 5 by Jene Bramel. For a comprehensive rundown of all the injuries heading into today, check out Dr. Jene Bramel’s piece on Footballguys. You can get access to the article, as well as a bundle of other great sites, with a Rotopass subscription.
I have a handful of bets up on Betsperts for today’s games if you want to tail me (username: peteroverzet). Good luck today.
- Pete Overzet