I really, really want to write about anything other than positive tests right now, but it’s impossible to ignore the impact COVID is having across the league.
Earlier this morning we received three separate reports:
Another Titans player has tested positive. The team is no longer able to return to their facility today as initially planned and their game against the Bills is now firmly in jeopardy.
Patriots CB Stephen Gilmore has also tested positive and the team has canceled their practice today. Depending on when he first contracted COVID-19, it is well within the realm of possibility that other Patriots and Chiefs players have been exposed since. This photo is terrifying.
- A player on the Las Vegas Raiders has tested positive.
Now all we can do is wait and hope for a bunch of negative tests. If you are counting on Titans, Bills, Patriots, Broncos, Raiders, or Chiefs players in Week 5, it would be prudent to make contingency plans on the wire.
While we wait in limbo, here’s everything else I’m paying attention to for Week 5…
There’s so much good stuff on the RotoPass network. You can use promo code INSEASON for 15% off your subscription and access to all of these pieces that I’m reading this morning:
- On Sharp Football, we have the robust Week 5 Worksheet from Rich Hribar. I love Kyler Murray, but Rich always sobers me up with his “horizontal raid” data. Kyler ranks 29th in yards per pass attempt and 26th in passing points per attempt. Let him cook, Kliff.
- At Rotowire, Chris Liss breaks down your survivor pool options for Week 5. I planned to take the Steelers and save the Chiefs and Ravens, but now I’m having second thoughts.
- Over at Rotoviz, Curtis Patrick has your waiver wire breakdowns for both redraft and dynasty. I like his Tim Patrick call—a guy you can probably sneak through for real cheap.
- This matchup tool on RosterWatch is cool. Looks like Teddy Bridgewater has the best QB matchup this week.
- Mike Clay’s Week 5 WR/CB shadow report on ESPN+. D.J. Moore bounce back game?
- Sigmund Bloom’s Week 5 upgrades, downgrades, and waiver wire wonders on Footballguys.
Kyle Allen will get the start for Washington vs. the Rams. Dwayne Haskins goes to the bench...Drew Lock watched Broncos’ practice from the sideline. We’ll know more when Denver releases it’s first Week 5 injury report today...Mike Evans, Chris Godwin, and Scotty Miller didn’t practice yesterday...Leonard Fournette may be a game-time decision for Thursday’s game...Sounds like A.J. Brown may return to practice Wednesday. Please let that be true...Diontae Johnson is out of the concussion protocol...Cam Akers expects to return this Sunday to face Washington.
Pat Kerrane dissected every relevant stat from Week 4 and how to capitalize on them going forward in this week’s edition of Stat Chasing...21 of the top 30 RBs by final ADP have either underperformed or suffered serious injuries. Woof...R.I.P. Van Halen. Matthew reminisced on Twitter.