The NFL season kicks off one glorious week from today, but this bizarro offseason isn’t done with us yet.
Mere hours after Bruce Arians called Ronald Jones a three-down back yesterday, the Buccaneers signed free agent Leonard Fournette to a one-year contract in a move that magnificently trolled the entire fantasy cognoscenti.
If you have already drafted Fournette with an early pick, you just hit your gutshot straight draw on the river. If you’ve been drafting Ronald Jones, your pocket tens just saw a flop with three over cards. And if you’ve been drafting Ke’Shawn Vaughn late like me, well, the pot odds were good pre-flop.
I agree with Matthew’s snap take. This is shaping up to be a messy committee. His ADP will most likely settle in rounds 5-7 over the next week, which is too rich for my blood with upside WRs and exciting rookie running backs still on the board in that range.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- Remember how we were all freaking out about Alvin Kamara yesterday? Well, now he’s back at practice and the injection he received isn’t as bad as we initially thought.
- As initially predicted by ESPN's Mike Reiss, the Patriots cut Mohamed Sanu yesterday after acquiring him for a second-round pick last October. A rough day for those in New England who whisper “In Belichick We Trust” to themselves before bed each night.
- Deebo Samuel is set to return to practice next week and could potentially play in Week 1. Deebo’s injury-related ADP slide presented one of the best possible values in drafts over the past few weeks.
- Darrell Henderson is still rehabbing his hamstring injury. Malcolm Brown will be involved, but it sure feels like Cam Akers is going to have an opportunity to run away with this job.
- The Chargers say Tyrod Taylor is their Week 1 starter. I can’t muster a takeaway here. I’m sorry.
- It’s always hard to guess if Aaron Rodgers will allow another Packers pass catcher into his incredibly tight circle of trust, but it appears Marquez Valdes-Scantling might have a chance.
- No one wanted to touch Van Jefferson in dynasty rookie drafts, but he has the inside track on the Rams’ No. 3 receiver role.
- Patriots RB Damien Harris has missed two practices and might miss the opener. If you think you can predict who will lead the team in carries Week 1 you are either Belichick or a time-traveler.
Confession: I’m a hardcore Zero RB drafter who could barely stomach discussing Leonard Fournette in that opening paragraph having not drafted him in a single league this year. If you have low testosterone like me and prefer to draft WRs and TEs early, the godfather of Zero RB just released his Top 5 running back targets you can get in the mid- to late-rounds. Get a subscription to Rotoviz via the RotoPass bundle. Use code NOHUSTLE for 10% off at checkout.
INSULT TO INJURY
Poor Rojo. Fournette has already photoshopped himself in a Bucs #27 jersey, which, um, happens to be Jones’ number. That’s going to be an awkward introduction in the locker room.