With the 53-man roster deadline at 4pm ET tomorrow, we are going to see a flurry of Schefter bombs over the next 30 hours or so.
Before I could even dust off the keyboard this morning, Adrian Peterson was released by the Washington Football Team and Dare Ogunbowale was released by the Buccaneers.
Everyone is rightfully very excited about Antonio Gibson and he was already going to have a significant role, but I think it’s Bryce Love who benefits the most from the vacated AP touches. You Bryce Love To See It? I’ll get better, I promise.
As far as the Bucs, it’s a bit surprising to cut their special teams captain in favor of journeyman LeSean McCoy. I can’t help but think everyone in the front office was just too scared to tell McCoy he had to go after bringing him in a few weeks earlier.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- Drafting this weekend? Matthew has you covered with his 10 lists of 10, including which preseason camp buzz reports he’s buying and the 10 best fantasy team names for 2020. I’m beyond biased, but “Thou Shenault Pass” is my winner.
- You know the game “Two Truths and a Lie”? Every Bruce Arians presser is basically “Two Lies and maybe a Truth.” Even after the Fournette signing, Arians told reporters that “Ronald Jones is our guy.”
- Something to pay attention to: Amari Cooper has been missing practice time due to an undisclosed injury. Everyone knows this Dallas offense can explode, so Michael Gallup, CeeDee Lamb, and Blake Jarwin could be set up for a massive start to the season if this lingers.
- As if it were ever in doubt (sorry Stidham stans), Cam Newton was named the Patriots’ starting QB, as well as one of three offensive captains.
- The Seahawks re-sign Josh Gordon. We are a long way from 2013 when Gordon scorched the earth and led the league in receiving yards, but I still naively get excited every time Gordon finds his way back on a roster.
- Lots of buzz on Steelers WR Diontae Johnson. Johnson fits the profile of a second year wide receiver breakout, so it’s nice to get confirmation that he has a good connection with Roethlisberger.
- Trey Burton is expected to miss the first few weeks of the regular season after injuring his calf. Jack Doyle might be the least sexiest pick you can make in a draft, but fantasy points are fantasy pumps even if they are of the frumpy variety.
- The Eagles cut running backs Elijah Holyfield and Mike Warren, leaving only Corey Clement and Boston Scott behind Miles Sanders. That should mean Sanders is ready to go Week 1 despite the lower body injury he’s been dealing with.
THE BUCS ARE AMERICA’S MEME TEAM
We all know Tom Brady has an elite social media manager, but now they add Leonard Fournette’s team to the mix? Game over.